If you can recall, I did an interview with an artist named Da Bizness here. In it , I asked who provided his beats. He revealed Disko Boogie. I did a little homework, gathered some resources and found Disko. I came up on his mix tape Starz on Marz II and was blown away. I was also invited by Disko to his release party, sadly, I couldn’t make it.( Thanks for the invite, Disko).
You can listen to it here:
Here’s my take on the Piece, in no particular order.Just going off my notes Click the highlighted titles to see the videos:
- She Likes Me: Raunchy lyrics.Could be a radio joint.Catchy hook and beat.I love Bass and this is BASS HEAVY!
- Feelin’ Like the Fuckin’ Man: Club joint.Deep Bass.Raunchy lyrics, which by the way, is where music is.Big Dick lyrics.Ballin’.Shot Callin’.
- Actin’ Like One: Reminds me of the Hyphy movement.Raunchy lyrics.
- After Party: A joint featuring Kurupt. Hypnotizing beat and sounds.Listen to the lyrics.
- Racks – Hot Damn! This is one of my favorites. Guaranteed you’ll be like, ” West Side….Whaaat!”, after you hear this.This goes hard. The beat just jumps on you from the rip.Heavy ass Bass.There’s this sound in the back that has ya mind SWIRLING
- I Can Tell U Love Her: A Fuck-That-Bitch cut. Autotuned. Reminds me of Kirko Bangs, who I do like, in the delivery.Song tells you how HE fucked YOUR girl. The ending has a twist.
- I Apologize: Simple beat.Takes me back to I Need Love, by LL Cool J.
- Mucho Dinero: Head boppin’ banger.
- No Comprende: ” We don’t speak the same language”..that’s all I’ll say..
- Smack: A definitive club joint. I like how they played with that Bell Biv Devoe, Poison..
- Sin City: The beat pattern is crazy on this one. Has a fly ass bassline, to me.It switches up 3 minutes into the song.It goes into a headrush ! hypes up the song for a quick second.I love this ( and so does my wife).Another one of my favorites.
- Kali Dreamin‘: Now that I live in Cali, I have to say, this sound captures California. Cali as a whole has a sound I credit Dr Dre, DJ Quick and Warren G for. This song captures that. From the lyrics to the music.Good job on that, Disko! I like this.
- I Ain’t Going Back: This song deserves a listen. Must be personal.
- 2 Live and Die in LA: Another great ode to California. This one features a live band gettin’ it in!
- Woodworks Iz the Mob: Has a military feel to it.Epic Beat. Strip club banger, I feel. My second favorite.
- Nothin’ On U: Meant for a special girl? or for the srtip club?
- Tip Drill: Hypnotizing slow track. great to smoke to.I like this. “Moovieee!”
- Love Don’t Live Here: Radio ready.I dare you to guess the chorus sample! Can you? Hit me at : Inkymann@gmail.com, and let me know.
- Control: I feel this is the song where he is “claiming his lane”
- Turnin’ Heads On: Hot beat.I like this.Bass Heavy. Almost like a tribute to that Texas sound.
Without further ado, I introduce to you, Disko Boogie:
UDHH: What got you rapping?
UDHH: Why did you join the big game (Rap)?
DISKO BOOGIE: I WANTED TO GET MY MUSIC OUT TO THE PUBLIC INSTEAD OF JUST RECORDING IN THE GARAGE AND SHIT, I WANTED TO DO IT FULL TIME
UDHH: What’s the scene like in LA?
DISKO BOOGIE: WELL ITS MANY DIFFERENT TYPE OF HIP-HOP OUT HERE, YOU GOT THE BACKPACKERS, THE GANGSTAS, THE RATCHETS, THE HIPPIES, ETC, BUT GANGS STILL PLAY A BIG ROLE IN HIP HOP SHOWS AND POLITICS.
UDHH: Who do you look up to in Life? Rap?
DISKO BOOGIE: KANYE WEST, DRAKE, DJ QUIK, JAY Z, BASICALLY THE LONGEVITY THEY HAVE AND THE TALENT LEVEL
UDHH: Name projects you’ve been involved with (Past, Present, Future)
DISKO BOOGIE:PROBLEM’S SONG “I’M FUCKED UP“, I DID SHIT FOR TDE, DIAMOND LANE, 319 MUSIC, KEAK DA SNEAK, KURUPT, ECT.
UDHH: Who would you like to work with?
DISKO BOOGIE: CHRIS BROWN, E40, KANYE, DREAM, MORE WITH NIPSEY(Hussle), PROBLEM AND YG, ALSO I’D SAY CASH MONEY ARTISTS, ANY OF THEM
UDHH: Who do you rep?
DISKO BOOGIE: DISKO BOOGIE
UDHH: What do you rep?
DISKO BOOGIE: WOODWORKS MOBB / BIRMINGHAM ENTERTAINMENT
UDHH: What do you like to Rap about?
DISKO BOOGIE: THEY WAY I’M LIVING AND WHERE I COME FROM, THE PROGRESSION INTO THE DIFFERENCES IN MY LIFE
UDHH: What do you like about the Rap game?
DISKO BOOGIE: THE BEATS AND THE TRENDS,FEW OF THE ARTISTS
UDHH: What don’t you like about the Rap game?
DISKO BOOGIE: MOST OF THE ARTIST AND THE DICK RIDING, NIGGAZ BE DESPERATE TO GET IN!
UDHH: Why the name Starz on Marz?
DISKO BOOGIE: INGLEWOOD IS THE RED PLANET AND WE ARE THE STARZ, AND ALSO I WANT TO BRANCH MY MUSIC OFF INTO SOME DIFFERENT WORLD TYPE SHIT, GET A LIL’ MORE TRIPPY
UDHH: How’d you get Tiffany Pollard ( from I Love NY fame)?
UDHH: Who you talking to on Actin’ like One?
DISKO BOOGIE: IF THE SHOE FITS……..
UDHH: How’d you link up with Kurupt?
DISKO BOOGIE: AT THE HOMIE, PROBLEM’S SHOW, I RAN A RESUME BY HIM AND WE STARTED WORKIN’, ASAP
UDHH: On I Apologize, who are you apologizing to?
DISKO BOOGIE: ALL THE PEOPLE THAT FEEL LIKE I DID SOMETHING WRONG BY HAVING SOME SUCCESS, NIGGAZ FEEL LIKE YOU OWE THEM SOMETHIN, I APOLOGIZE
UDHH: Is there real money to be made in the mix tape game? If not, why do it? If so, can you make a good living off of it?
DISKO BOOGIE: WELL, THE MONEY COMES FROM HAVING MUSIC CROSS OVER INTO THE PUBLIC, GETTING BOOKED, AND DOIN’ TOURS, SO THE GOAL IS TO GET YOUR MUSIC POPULAR, AND HOPEFULLY GETTING SALES ON DIGITAL COPIES
UDHH: Who / What is Woodworks?
DISKO BOOGIE: THE LABEL WE STARTED WHEN WE STARTED DOIN’ MUSIC
UDHH: On the song, Tip Drill (which is getting mad play in my car right now) what is the guy yelling at the top of every bar?
DISKO BOOGIE: MOVIEEEEEEEE, LOL
UDHH: Who’s singing on Sin City?
DISKO BOOGIE: KRIS DIME
UDHH: Great job on Kali Dreamin’, it definitely captures that Cali feel.
DISKO BOOGIE: ITS THE LIFE STYLE, ITS EASY FOR US, WE LIVE IT EVERYDAY, I WISH YOU COULD LOOK OUTSIDE OF MY CONDO RIGHT NOW ITS 83 DEGREEZ..L.A.
UDHH: I Ain’t Goin’ Back, sounds personal. What’s the story behind that track?
DISKO BOOGIE: MY LIFE
UDHH: Is that a live band rockin’ on 2 Live and Die in LA? If so, who is that?
DISKO BOOGIE: MY BOY IAN HELP ME WITH THAT TRACK, HE RECORD HIS BAND AND PLAYED ME THE TRACK, I WENT CRAZY AND ADDED THE REST.
I wanna thank Disko Boogie, for the opportunity to interview him.Big shout to WOODWORKS MOBB / BIRMINGHAM ENTERTAINMENT, family and affiliates. Thanks for the love on Facebook, as well.
- Hip Hop 050113 (undadoghiphop.com)
- DJ Quik In Sacramento (ksfm.cbslocal.com)
- Expressing Blackness through Hip-Hop (popularmusicandpoliticalperformances13.wordpress.com)